Monday, December 11, 2006

TO YOU DADDY, I remember you.

Japuonj Samwel Gerson Ayany Onyango
Let people say what they want to say but you will always be my LOVE and my HERO.
When I was just a baby you taught me to believe that I am a queen . . . I remember the way you did not allow anyone to beat me up just because you named me after your mother whom though I never saw, I am told had pretty legs like mine.

Daddy though God took you away from US in the year 1991 . . . when I did not even understand what happened anyway, your memories are still fresh in my mind like it was yesterday. Though I have finally gotten over your demise I will never forget you.

I remember your generosity to all man kind that was evidenced by the people who stayed in our home both relatives and just others. So many people still work and earn a living today due to your influence either in their education or you got them jobs. And daddy this still open doors for us, God may not have paid you directly but as you enjoy heaven smile knowing that we have fed from the seeds of kindness that you planted.

Your achievements.
The companies you worked for are still standing strong. . . . KNUT, NHC building which was your work survived the bomb blast. The langata and Kibera Estates like Otiende, Onyonka, Ayany, Karanja and Olympic which were your projects among others have housed millions of Kenyans. The people you taught in Maseno are still changing this nation though most of them have retired.
Daddy Mumias sugar is still there. I remember the ice creams and Ugali ya blue band at the guest house in Mumias? I have never forgotten the horror movie we watched there that took away my sleep for months.
The Egerton Alumni your initiative is still there quite.

Drama!
Ha ha ha ha I remember the day you almost beat up a doctor just because he was handling me casually at the hospital. That day when I had a malaria attack . . . . Daddy you were a drama king kubali tuu! The number of times you beat up people for not following instructions cannot be counted, but I guess it worked all for their good. I can see that face you used to make when
you were pissed off . . .very funny
I miss you

Christmas and New Year family bashes
I have never forgotten Jim Reeves BIG CDs singing over the holidays at home Sakwa Bondo under the big shade (bwo yath) that is stationed right in the middle of the home, the days when everyone was there plus your grand children.
So clear like it was yesterday I see mom preparing turkey and it’s staffing to grill for dinner on these occasions, recently i asked her if she can still do the same and believe you me, you do not want to know what her response was.
I will never forget the goats we slaughtered, the Mturas and ojuris that we made to celebrate as a family. Dad when you left the holiday spirit died with you.
No one ever took us to BATA and DEACONS to buy shoes and clothes ever again . .

Trips from shags to Nairobi
I still remember the way you took care of us tenderly as we traveled across from the village into the city. This was a whole day affair with Daddy; the very first stop from Bondo was Akala to buy mangoes and boiled maize, then Kisumu to buy Sunblest Bakery doughnuts to munch till we get to Kericho to have a cup of 10 o’clock tea. With Joseph (Atai) or Philip behind the wheels the next stop would be Nakuru just in time for lunch woooo lala I cannot forget those juicy meals then the pies we picked from some bakery to carry to Nairobi for the rest. Sometimes diverted to Njoro to pick yoghurt since that was the only place yoghurt was being manufactured back then. Coming to Nairobi was journey that started around 7am to 6pm in the evening and all I know is that it was worth the time. Daddy no one ver complained of hunger while hanging around you. Daddy used to get offended when you turned down his offer to buy you food, he said all meals are important and appetitite was not in his vocabulary. He wondered how someone would refuse to eat when it's time to eat.

Your photos
When I go home we still see your photo with the Former (assassinated) US president Kennedy when you presented to him the LUO traditional stool, also with former President Moi receiving the awards for being one of the best parastatal chairman in the nation then.
Your buddies and students Tom Mboya, Oginga Odinga, Former Minister Odongo Omamo (his grand child Renee was on tusker project fame FYI), Professor Ogot, Minister Ouko, Otieno S.M. (wa Wambui), former carbinate ministers of the 80s. The former President Moi...I remember when we were neighbors with him at Kabarnet Drive in Woodley, and then he could stop by every evening to say hi to us on his way home. I wonder what happened that presidents no longer say hallo to their neighbors.

Your faith
I still go to church every Sunday just the way you taught us or rather insisted that we go. Daddy I remember the way you were so close to God just before you passed away. I remember all the pastors who came home to pray and encourage us. . . . I just want to let you know that I am carrying on with this faith. Well in high school I almost hated church BUT I guess it was just adolescent rebellion in me which of course I got over. "Oware" church that you helped build is still standing strong.

Your wisdom
One day you called me "e tie yath" (under the Big tree) and gave me a word of wisdom, nakumbuka sana clearly about boys . . . . Daddy i know that you just cared and just as i promised i have remained a good girl. I promise by faith that i will get married to a man i know you would recommend even though i know that you never chased anyman your daughters brought home. I promise to do a wedding just as you desired . . . . I know that you would have done me a big wedding just the way you did for the others BUT God has other plans.

If I had the chance Daddy i would tell you how much I love you, I would tell you that I have always hoped to live a better life, help people when I can, remain faithful and trustworthy because that is what I saw in you all my life.

Now I confirm that we do not know what we've got till it's gone.

As long as your work goes down in history, as long as Ayany Estate exist, you exist. .

Love Sally

No comments: